Posted by Eva
Last night we ate dinner ate a wonderful restaurant in London. It was called Dan le Noir? , which in French means In the Dark? The thing that makes this restaurant so wonderful is that you eat in complete and total darkness! By the way, all of the wait staff is blind.
How it Works:
- You walk in the restaurant and a seeing person tells you about the restaurant and the menu.
- You order your food.
- Choice between meat, fish, vegetarian, or surprise, you don’t get the details of what you ordered, just the general categories. You can tell them if you have allergies or other food restrictions.
- Next you walk through a hallway.
- Then your waitress/waiter directs you to your table in the dark.
- Now it’s completely dark, no light to be seen!
What We Ordered:
When you come out of the dark you get to see what you actually ate. We all apparently tried new foods. Amy and I tried duck. Maya and Rikki tried quail eggs.
It was kind of unusual at first, but then I got used to it. A little. Sometimes it was so hard to get anything on the fork, so I just ate with my hands! We thought, oh it’s okay since nobody could see us but when we got out they told us that there’s CCTV! (security cameras) Oh well.
It was interesting listening to other people’s conversations because you didn’t know what they looked like or who they were. Rikki thought the people next to us were on a “Blind Date”. It was somebody’s birthday so the whole restaurant sang Happy Birthday at one point, but we had no idea who we were singing to.
If you are interested in this restaurant there will be a more conveniently located in New York. At least more convenient than London. (opens in December)